HKU Studentportal
HKU Studentportal
  • Volg ons op twitter
  • Volg ons op facebook

Where can you get medical care when you need it? If you can't find the information you need here, you can contact HKU Service Desk Student Affairs.


If you still have questions after reading the information on our website, please contact HKU Service Desk Student Affairs on working days between 10 am and 5 pm: phone 030-2091540 or e-mail

General Practitioner (huisarts)

For all non-emergency situations, you consult a General Practitioner. The following General Practitioner practices are open to all international HKU-students. All the doctors speak English fluently.

• Janskerkhof General Practitioners office

Nobelstraat 2a, 3512 EN Utrecht (above Trainmore, entrance next to coffee bar Ludwig)


Opening hours: 8 am - 5 pm

We specialise in student medical problems. Our online services provide easy and convenient access. All the doctors speak English fluently.

• Campus de Uithof General Practitioners

Campus 'de Uithof' of the University of Utrecht in the Casa Confetti building Leuvenplein 10-11, 3584 LA Utrecht. Or Herculesplein 379 (stadium Galgenwaard), 3584 AA UTRECHT.


Opening hours: 8 am - 5 pm

We specialise in student medical problems. Our online services provide easy and convenient access. All the doctors speak English fluently.

Weekend and night services

Outside of office hours the central GP urgent care centre (UCC) can be contacted. It is meant exclusively for cases of emergency occurring at night, on weekends and during public holidays. Please visit their website to see the nearest location from where you live an all other inportant information.

Please note: You cannot simply visit the UCC. You need to call in advance to make sure you receive the help you require quickly. When you dial the UCC’s number, you will be given a number of options. In the event of a potentially life-threatening situation, press 1 to be given priority. For Utrecht the number is 088- 130 96 70. Please visit their website for the numbers of other UCC's near Utrecht.


You can only see a specialist after having consulted your General Practitioner. The GP will give you a letter of reference (verwijsbrief) for the specialist. With this letter, you can claim reimbursement from your health insurance. Note: the eye-specialist can be visited without a reference from your General Practitioner.


In general, dental treatment is not covered by (Dutch) health insurance, unless you have additional coverage. A dentist will always give you a cost-estimate on your first visit. Usually you will need to pay in cash. For an overview of dentists (tandartsen) you can consult If you fill in your city or postal code and the distance you are willing to travel you will get information on dentists within that distance.

Emergency service

In case of accidents or sudden illness requiring immediate medical attention, you can go to the emergency room of any hospital (bring insurance information) or call the general emergency number: 112.

How do other students cope with health issues?

What do they do when they feel out of sorts? How do they cope with tension, do they ask for help or do they prefer to solve the problem by themselves? How do problems affect their study and/or student life?

On the following website 26 students talk about their personal experiences with fatigue, stress, being overworked, gloominess and other problems