HKU Studentportal
HKU Studentportal
  • Volg ons op twitter
  • Volg ons op facebook

HKU encourages students to go abroad as part of their studies.

Where to start

First, check the options for studying abroad for your own course. Read the information about the different foreign programmes and practical issues on this site. Start by making a plan. There’s a lot you need to arrange between the initial idea and actual departure. Please bear in mind that you need a preparatory period of six to twelve months, especially if you want to undertake an exchange programme.


The options for a foreign programme may differ per school and per course.

Read more (in Dutch)

Information meetings

HKU Academic and Student Affairs and your school organise on-site meetings that provide general information about your foreign study period. These sessions are usually held in the autumn period. You will be sent an invitation via your tutor.

Approval and registration

Prior to departure, your study period abroad must be approved by your department. In addition, you need to register your stay abroad in Osiris Student Buitenland or as otherwise instructed by HKU.

Student Protocol Abroad

If you go abroad as a student - for exchange, internship, project or other reason - the content of the Student Protocol Abroad applies to you.

Read more

Emergency number HKU

Available 24/7: +31 30 2091899

Reporting and assistance in the event of a serious illness, accident or crisis situation abroad.

Contact and guidance

For general information and practical matters you can contact
HKU Academic and Student Affairs,
Dorien Mouw / Charmaine van der Heijden
visiting address: Nieuwekade 1, Utrecht

For academic advice and guidance please contact your school.