HKU Studentportal
HKU Studentportal
  • Volg ons op twitter
  • Volg ons op facebook

Before you come to the Netherlands, it is important to make sure that you have made arrangements to be properly insured for medical costs. Please read the information and review the options we have provided on health insurance.

Which health insurance do I need?

You will need adequate insurance cover to safeguard against high costs resulting from an accident or illness. This will ensure that unexpected problems do not lead to major financial risks. There are different types of cover: a private insurance, international student insurance or a public Dutch health insurance.

You will find more information on the Study in Holland website.

Health insurance home country

If your stay in the Netherlands is temporary (less than 1 year) it is possible that your health insurance from your home country provides you with coverage in the Netherlands. Please check if your insurance company can provide you with an international declaration in English.

Are you an EU national? Check if your insurance company can provide you with a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC-card). Please check how long the insurance will cover you abroad and what the conditions are. This varies per country.

Make sure to bring the EHIC-card with you to the Netherlands. You will need it when you see a doctor in the Netherlands.

Insurance international students

If you are not covered by your healthcare insurance from your home country while in the Netherlands, you will have to take out another healthcare insurance. AON offers special policies available for international students in the Netherlands: The AON policies fulfill all IND requirements.

Please note; If you already have a medical condition this then is generally not covered by insurance companies offering health insurance packages for international students.

You will need to be officially registered at a Dutch address to apply for this type of insurance. Please make sure you have a travel insurance to cover the first period of your stay in the Netherlands! This is very important, since you don't want to risk having to pay high medical costs in case of a, for example, medical emergency.

Dutch health insurance

In case you have a part-time job you need to take out public Dutch health insurance. Also when you get married, have childeren or buy a house your status in the Netherlands changes from student (temporary) to permanent. In all these cases you have to take out public Dutch health care insurance. It is mandatory to have at least a basic health insurance. You can also get an additional insurance, depending what your health care needs are. This is not mandatory.

Please visit the website from Study in Holland for important for all the information on this subject.

There is a discount for HKU students with Zilveren Kruis Achmea. To get the discount rate you will have to use a special number for HBO students: 207000892. For more information:

Via Independer you are able to compare health insurance companies.

The Dutch healthcare insurance can be rather expensive, but people below a certain income level can receive a health care benefit if they meet the requirements. For information please visit the website from the Belastingdienst.

Healthcare benefit

You may be eligible to get healthcare benefit if you have a public Dutch health insurance. Please note: If you are insured via an independent policy with an insurer (such as for example AON) you will not be eligible for this allowance.

How to apply

Please visit the site from the Belastingdienst to see what the excact conditions are and apply via their website.

Applying for a VVR?

Please note that for a VVR visa for study the IND requires that you have extensive insurance coverage, which even covers admission to a mental hospital or sanatorium.

Do not risk a fine!

In the Netherlands everyone is obliged to have a health insurance. If not it is possible you will get a fine. If there is suspicion you are not well insured you will receive a letter of CAK. Here you can read what to do in that case.

Entrepeneur / paid internship

A registration at the Dutch Chamber of Commerce as an entrepeneur or an internship does not automatically mean that you need to have a public Dutch health insurance.

It is important to contact the Sociale Verzekeringsbank (SVB) to request for an investigation of your insurance situation under the Wlz scheme. They will investigate if you need a Dutch basic health insurance based on your personal situation. This depends on the purpose and duration of your stay, your income as an entrepeneur and other facts.

If you do not have a DigiD you can use the SVB application form which can be found on the website of the SvB. Or if you do have a Dutch DigiD code, you can do it online via the SVB website.

Language insurance documents

Whichever type of insurance you have, make sure that the insurance documents are written in one of the following European languages: English, French, German.

HKU insurance and other recommended insurances

Please see for information