HKU Studentportal
HKU Studentportal
  • Volg ons op twitter
  • Volg ons op facebook

On this page you will find information about insurances that are arranged by HKU and which you yourself must conclude. You need to make sure that you are properly insured during your stay.

Healthcare insurance

By Dutch law you are obligated to have healthcare insurance.

The type of healthcare insurance you need depends on your personal situation.

Liability insurance

If you are to blame for an accident that injures someone or damages another person's property, you are responsible for paying all the costs that result from the accident.

You might, for example, break something where you are working or cause damage to your rented room. The resulting claim for damages could be very expensive. You are therefore strongly urged to have a good liability insurance.

Travel insurance

You are advised to take out travel insurance for coverage of accidents, luggage, repatriation and (additional) healthcare when you are traveling.

Other recommended insurances

Please see the information at Study in Holland.

HKU insurance for students

HKU students are 'secondary' (primarily applies to their own health insurance) insured for accidents. This concerns the medical costs resulting from an accident at a HKU location, internship location and during a stay abroad for an educational activity.

The costs that are not covered by your own insurance can be reimbursed via the HKU insurance. To this end, the accident must have been reported to the HKU location on time. In some exceptional cases it may be that there is coverage through the insurance of HKU.

HKU also has a liability insurance. This means that if there is damage to persons or items of third-parties (or yourself) and HKU is to be blamed for this, we are insured for this damage. The rule of thumb here is that the causer of the damage is liable for this. It would be wise to take out a liability insurance (WA)!

If you have any questions, please contact the Service Desk at your location.

HKU Abroad

The HKU insurances for accidents and liability also applies if you go abroad during your HKU study. Students are obligated to take out their own travel insurance.