HKU Studentportal
HKU Studentportal
  • Volg ons op twitter
  • Volg ons op facebook

Once you have been admitted to a course at HKU University of the Arts Utrecht, you need to arrange your visa and/or permit. Which documents you will need to live and study in the Netherlands depends on your nationality.

Please select your nationality and follow the instructions provided in the checklist.

Group I

No visa or permit needed

EEA students are permitted to live, work and study in the Netherlands on the basis of international laws. Please be aware, however, that sometimes a residence or work permit is necessary.

Checklist for Group I

Group I
Belgium, Bulgaria,
Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic,
Finland, France
Germany, Greece
Iceland, Ireland, Italy
Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg
Malta, Norway
Poland, Portugal
Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland
United Kingdom

Group II

Residence permit only

Students staying for more than three months will need to apply for a residence permit (the VVR). You must start this process before arrival. 

Checklist for Group II

Group II
New Zealand
South Korea
United States of America

Group III

Visa & permit

Students staying for more than three months will need to apply for an entrance visa (the MVV) as well as a residence permit for study (the VVR). You must apply for both before leaving your home country.

Checklist for Group III

Group III

all other countries

Brexit information

The United Kingdom (UK) is intending to leave the European Union (EU). This exit (Brexit) has consequences for most United Kingdom nationals and their family members who wish to continue living in the Netherlands. On the web page you can read more about these consequences and what you can do now.

HKU will inform all HKU students and applicants if the conditions will change concerning enrolment, tuition and residency.