HKU Studentportal
HKU Studentportal
  • Volg ons op twitter
  • Volg ons op facebook

HKU has one central office where students can file a complaint, objection or submit an appeal.

This office ensures that complaints, objections and appeals are forwarded to the correct person or board. You will be informed of this process when your complaint is received. The office subsequently monitors that your complaint is handled properly and timely.

General complaints

If you feel that something hasn’t been handled properly or you have another complaint, your first course of action is to discuss it with the person or those responsible for the organisational unit in question. Hopefully you can find a solution together. Should this not succeed, then you can file a complaint with this office. Depending on the nature of the complaint, it will be handled by the Director of the School, the person in charge or the Executive Board.

Disagree evaluation/ BSA?

You can file an appeal against a decision regarding your admission or pertaining to an assessment, evaluation, review, BSA or exemption. In this case your objection will be handled by the Examination Appeals Board. Make sure you file your appeal with the office within six weeks after the decision was taken.

The Examination Appeals Regulations can be found under regulations.

Unacceptable behavior

When you're dealing with any type of unwelcome behavior, such as sexual harassment, aggression, bullying or violence, you can contact the office directly. HKU has a complaints committee that investigates such complaints.

It is advisable to contact one of the confidential counselors before filing a complaint. They can guide you. More about the procedure and confidential counselors

Disagree with another decision?

If you wish to lodge an objection against any other decision taken on behalf of HKU, your objection will be forwarded to the Dispute Advisory Board. In all cases it is important that your complaint is filed with the office within six weeks after the decision in question.

Also see the HKU Disputes Regulations

Open University Masters

If students have exhausted all institutional procedures open to them in requesting a review of decision of a board of examiners, they have the right to submit a formal appeal to the Open University.

How to submit

You can file your appeal, objection or complaint to the Executive Board Office of the HKU. You can hand it in at the desk of the Service Desk Student Affairs at our Nieuwekade location or by e-mail:

HKU, Executive Board Office

PO Box 1520, 3500 BM Utrecht

Make sure you always state your own information (name, address, student number, your course) and indicate clearly what it is that you do not agree with and why. If you have questions regarding the process, please contact the Service Desk Student Affairs.

The official regulations governing the above can be found in the Student Charter (pdf), or the Contract student Charter (pdf) for contract students such as OU masters and preperatory courses.