HKU Studentportal
HKU Studentportal
  • Volg ons op twitter
  • Volg ons op facebook

It's important that you know the following rules for working beside your study in the Netherlands. Failure to comply with these rules can have serious consequences for your residence permit!

Which rules?

Which rules apply to you is based on your nationality.

Part-time job
EU/EEA and Swiss (except Croatians) can work in the Netherlands without a work permit. There is no limit to the amount of hours you can work*. For tax purposes you will need a Citizen Service Number (BSN). To get a BSN you must be registered as a resident at the City Hall.

Students from CROATIA can only work in the Netherlands if the employer obtains a work permit (TWV) at the UWV Werkbedrijf for them. There is no limit to the amount of hours that you can work alongside your study once your employer has a work permit for you. You first must submit a request for verification against EU Community Law at the local IND desk. Upon approval you will receive a registration sticker.

Students from outside the EU/EEA with a VVR permit for study (group II and III), can only work in the Netherlands if the employer obtains a work permit (TWV) at the UWV Werkbedrijf for them. Once your employer has a valid work permit for you, you are only allowed to work full-time during the summer OR during the year in a small job (maximum 10 hours a week). You will also need a BSN number.

Working as an entrepreneur during your studies
As of April 2017, international non- EU/EEA students are allowed to become self-employed in addition to their studies, without needing a work permit. It is now possible for all international students to do self-employed work for an unlimited amount of hours, in addition to their studies and part-time job (with a maximum of 10 hours a week). Please note that non-EU/EEA students still need a work permit for a part-time job and have to continue to comply with the conditions for your residence permit. EU students have free access to the Dutch labour market.

To work as an entrepeneur you need to register at the chamber of commerce, in Dutch Kamer van Koophandel.

* EU students who receive Dutch student financing (studiefinanciering) should check the maximum that they are permitted to earn in a year.

Work permit application

Your employer must apply for your work permit at the UWV Werkbedrijf in Zoetermeer. It generally takes about five weeks before a decision is taken. You are not allowed to start to work before a work permit has been granted.

Information sheet for employers

Please note: These rules also apply to volunteer work (even if you don't get paid)!

Health Insurance

All foreign students with a Dutch job are obliged by law to take out Dutch health insurance, called basisverzekering. This insurance costs approximately 100 euro/month for the basic package. It is possible to apply for health care allowance. If you are registered as entrepeneur it is possible you will also need to take out the Dutch public healthcare insurance.

Read more about Dutch public healthcare insurance.

Regular Inspections!

Labour Inspection, the IND and the UWV Werkbedrijf are actively checking if companies and students adhere to all the rules.

If you are working without a work permit and/or you are working more hours than you are allowed, the employer risks being fined € 12.000 per student and you risk losing your residence permit!


The only exception to the requirement for a work permit is for internships which are part of your study in the Netherlands. In this case there must be an official internship agreement between the student, the school and the employer.

Official regulations

The Nuffic offers comprehensive information for foreign students who wish to work while studying.

Looking for a job

The easiest way to find a job is through an employment agency, or uitzendbureau. Some agencies specialise in jobs for students. You can also respond to advertisements or search for a job online. The following websites may be helpful: (in Dutch)
(in Dutch)

Also the official website of the government might be offer some assistance in finding a job: